The Department of Works of the Assembly is a merger of the Public works Department, Department of Feeder Roads and District Water & Sanitation Units, Department of Rural Housing and the Works Unit of the Assembly (as stipulated in LI 1961)
The Works Department;
- Assist the Assembly to formulate policies on works within the framework of national policies.
- Facilitate the implementation of policies on works and report to the Assembly,
- Encourage and facilitate maintenance of public buildings and facilities in the district.
- Assist to build, equip, close and maintain markets and prohibit the erection of stores in places other than the markets.
- Assist to inspect projects undertaken by the District Assembly with the relevant departments of the Assembly.
- Provide technical engineering and assistance on works undertaken by the Assembly
- Assist to maintain public buildings made up of offices, residential accommodations and ancillary structures.
- Assist to prepare tender documents for all civil works projects to be undertaken by the Assembly through contracts or community-initiated projects
- Remove dilapidated structures in any public place.
- Tidy up the premises and remove any derelict vehicles or objects which constitute nuisance
- Provide technical advice for the machinery and structural layout of building plans to facilitate escape from fire, rescue operation and fire management
- Protection or prevention of obstructing access to fire hydrants.