Open Hours of West Akim Municipal Assembly Mon - Fri: 8.00 am - 5.00 pm

The Department of Physical Planning at the Municipal level shall manage the activities of the Department of Town and Country Planning.

The Department shall;

  • advise the Municipal Assembly on national policies on physical planning, land use and development
  • co-ordinate activities and projects of departments and other agencies including Non-Governmental Organizations to ensure compliance with planning standards
  • assist in preparation of physical plans as a guide for the formulation of development policies and decisions and to design projects in the Municipality
  • assist to identify problems concerning the development of land and its social, environmental and economic implications;
  • advise on setting out approved plans for future development of land at the Municipal level
  • advise on preparation of structures for towns and villages within the Municipality.
  • collaborate with the Survey Unit in the performance of its functions
  • facilitate and participate in research into planning in the Municipality
  • assist to offer professional advice to aggrieved persons on appeals and petitions on decisions made on their building
  • facilitate consultation, co-ordination and harmonization of developmental decisions into a physical development plan;
  • assist to prepare a Municipal Land-Use Plan to guide activities in the Municipality
  • advise on the conditions for the construction of public and private buildings and structures;
  • assist to provide the layout for buildings for improved housing layout and settlement
  • ensure the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless building plans submitted have been approved by the Assembly
  • advise and facilitate the demolition of dilapidated buildings and recovery of expenses incurred in connection with the demolition
  • ensure the prohibition of the use of inflammable materials in the construction or repair of buildings in defied areas
  • advise the Assembly on the siting of bill boards, masts and ensure compliance with the decisions of the Assembly
  • advise on the acquisition of landed property in the public interest
  • undertake street naming, numbering of house and related Issues.